About Me

My photo
Fukuoka, Japan
Christian blogger, KJV Bible apologist, legal researcher, teacher, learner, family man, writer, entrepreneur, born Jamaican, son of the soil, traveler... it's complicated. "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, [yea], and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence." 1 Corinthians 1:25-29 (KJV)

This Blog

"I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works." ~ Psalm 9:1 (KJV). This blog contains and explains the truth of God's Word. The Epignosis of the Word of God is what every servant of God must teach.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

VERBING SCRIPTURE Honour & Love

I read an interestingly amusing article some time ago that discussed the verbing of nouns throughout the history of the English language. You may read it here: YOU'VE BEEN VERBED. Very recently I was thinking about verbing nouns from a Biblical perspective and my mind went first to the New Testament scripture about Honouring parents:

"Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)" ~ Ephesians 6:2 (KJV)

We are commanded to honour our parents. The word 'honour' in this scripture comes from the Greek word TIMAO, pronounced tē-mä'-ō. It has two literal meanings:

1. To estimate or to fix the value of something that belongs to one's self;
2. To revere, venerate, to hold in honour or to honour someone with many honours.

'Honour' is a verb in this scripture in two clear ways. Let me explain. If I were to estimate the value of my parents to me, I would unquestionably value them most expensively. They are absolutely priceless. There are no riches in the world that can replace them. Moreover, in my heart, mind, soul and strength, I hold them in the highest honour that I can give to man and I continue within myself to esteem, respect and honour them with many honours. This is honour in action.

As I gave more thought to the verbing of nouns my mind went to another scripture:

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;" ~ Ephesians 5:25 (KJV)

We who are husbands are commanded to love our wives in the way that Christ loves the church: with self sacrifice. The word 'love' in this scripture comes from the Greek word AGAPAO, pronounced ä-gä-pä'-ō. It also has two literal meanings:

1. To welcome, to entertain, to be fond of and to love someone dearly;
2. To be well pleased, to be contented at or with a thing.

'Love' is a verb in this scripture with two meanings. When used of a person, it expresses having a preference for that person as well as wishing the best for them. It also means that one will give highest regard to the well-being of the person. When it is used of a thing it denotes taking pleasure in it, being unwilling to abandon it and to prize it above all other things.

I apply both principles to my relationship with my wife. I am more than fond of her and the things she does or says. I welcome her always in the sense that I will never deny her any good thing. I entertain her in the sense that I am sensitive to her thoughts, desires and intentions and I do make her laugh. Most importantly though, I love and cherish her dearly and she knows it. This is love in action.

Honour and Love are nouns as well as verbs. Ultimately, we are to Honour and Love God Almighty in a more profound way than how we love our family, friends and our fellow human beings. According to scripture, Honour and Love are nouns that we must verb in order for us to make them effective in ourselves and to others.

God Bless You. ^_^

No comments: